This week we have been thinking about the rain. It seems all our weather songs, rhymes and writing has brought lots of real rain! Here are some ideas for the weekend
- Look at photographs online of some the flooding in the UK. Maybe you could find some of the places that are suffering from flooding on a map? (Google Maps is a great resource).
- We have been looking at rainbows this week and have talked about other places you might see rainbows eg in bubbles, oily puddles, CD’s etc. You could look for rainbows at home or you could paint / draw / chalk rainbows. We have also talked about the order the colours come in.
- We have read about the water cycle. The boys were fascinated to learn heat can make droplets of water rise up into the air to form clouds. One book we read today suggested putting a small bowl of water by a radiator and watching for signs of evaporation. Some boys might like to try this at home.
Have a lovely weekend!
Today the boys in RA have looked at practical ways of using their addition knowledge. All the boys had a go at decorating biscuits with different amounts of sweets. They then had to count the total number of sweets! Some boys chose to make a ladybird. They put some spots on one side, some on the other side and then added them together. Please have a look at some of their work below. (Please not the edit function on the blog is not working which is why the photographs cannot be rotated.)
The boys really enjoyed their visit to the new ICT suite. We will have our computer lessons in the new room every Monday.
Sadly, my “rotate” function is not working but I thought you would like to see the photos anyway!
Have a lovely weekend.
We have been encouraging the boys to calculate the answers to addition sums in two different ways.
1. By using their fingers / counters. Taking two set, combing them and counting them altogether.
2. By “counting on” on the 100 square. eg. 4+3 Find the 4 and jump on 3 squares.
Here are two games you can play to help reinforce these methods.
I hope you enjoy them!
The next two weeks are going to be “Politeness Weeks” at Lochinver. All the boys across the whole school are being encouraged to remember the importance of being polite. Understandably, this is something we always look for in Lochinver Boys, however we are having a special “push” on good manners between 20th -31st January.
Any boys who are spotted being especially polite will be given a “Polite Sticker”. Some boys have received some already!
Meanwhile, we continue to talk about the Weather in our topic lessons. Please can I encourage you to look at the weather forecast and discuss with your sons at home. You could watch it at the end of the news, view it online, in an app or in the newspaper.
This week in maths we will continue to reinforce adding but will also have a look at simple data handling. We will be collecting data and recording the results on a class bar graph. Maybe you could collect data together as a family eg what is everyone’s favourite colour/ food / fruit? How many red/blue/green cars are parked in your street etc?
Later on this week I will be posting some photographs of the boys carrying out some data handling in the new ICT suite.
Happy New Year to you all! I hope you all had a lovely Christmas.
This half term, our topic is “Weather”. We will be recording the weather every day and will regularly check the weather forecast. We have also been looking at some examples of the more extreme weather the world has been experiencing. The BBC website has some good photographs to support this.
In maths we have started to solve simple addition sums and have recorded the sums using the + and = symbols. Last week we used dice to generate the numbers for our sums, maybe you could continue to practise doing this at home.